Local weather Change This Week: The Melting Third Pole, Politics’ Local weather Clash, And More!
Climate CHANGE Prices
OO Southern Africa: Herdsmen To Central Bankers Count Drought Cost
For Years To come as drought wiped out livestock, pushed up food costs and precipitated power shortages and protests.
OO France To Assist Grain Farmers After Crops Hit By Torrential Rains and lack of sunshine in late spring.
Altering Seas Are Changing Fish like this Ocellated Wrasse. Credit score Natascia Tamburello, University of Palermo
OO Local weather Pollution Can Change Fish Mating Behaviors – exacerbating stresses on total ocean ecosystems, already careworn by overfishing, warming, acidifying waters and plastic and oil pollution.
OO Lake Tahoe, CA, Is Warming At Alarming Rate,
Reflecting Speedy Sierra Climate Change and is exhibiting some extreme impacts from the changing local weather.
Climate Change in Motion – runoff from a melting Tibetan glacier. Credit Wayne McAllister
OO Melting Tibetan Ice Sheet Threatens 1+ Billion Folks in Asia – Takeaways:
– the largest ice sheet outdoors the North and South Poles;
– aka the Third Pole, it is the source of Asia’s 10 largest rivers, and their fertile deltas.
– It is usually a major engine of global weather.
– These rivers and deltas assist 1+billion people in
– China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan.
Measuring the Melt Chinese scientists bulk liquid fertilizer have bee monitoring the world for several years. Credit Wayne McAllister
– The Third Pole has heated 1.5 C (3 F) in 50 years;
– 500 glaciers have disappeared and the largest are melting rapidly,
– Far faster than expected.
Watering Desert Oases Tibetan glaciers are additionally supplying water to fifty six million folks along part of the historic silk street in China. Credit Wayne McAllister
– Initially, the melt will present extra water, but
– Over the following 30 years it’s going to lower,
– Drastically affecting agriculture in Asia,
– And affecting weather globally.
Acquired Sufficient Pipelines Yet It is a 2012 US pipeline map. Supply US Dept of Transportation
OO Pipeline Growth Threatens US Climate Goals,
Study Says – pumping pure gas from the Appalachian fracking hub to customers all through the jap U.S. commits the nation to high carbon emissions.
OO Texas: Huge Coal’s Tax Dodge Puts Faculties, Hospitals In Dire Straits
Following the Coal Pollution Sierra Membership kayakers have been protesting it for years. Source www.commercialappeal.com
OO Environmentalists Blast TVA Plan To leave Coal Ash At Power Plants
OO Environmentalists Goal Another TransCanada Proposed Pipeline that would ship tons of of supertankers laden with crude oil down the Atlantic coast to refineries in Texas and Louisiana.
Conserving It Beautiful A Colorado-primarily based nonprofit, the Conservation Lands Foundation, has helped the Bureau of Land Management, the nation’s largest landlord, conserve and maintain its holdings.
– helped push President Obamas to create four million, largely BLM acres of Nationwide Monuments;
– created several “buddies” teams to assist BLM conserve its lands;
– helped market BLM’s National Conservation Lands
– help distract BLM from acceding to industrial exploitation of its assets
– helped up donations to the BLM
Bob Inglis Source www.pri.org
OO Ex Republican Congressman: His Celebration’s
Denial of Local weather Science
is ‘Courting Catastrophe’ With Voters says Bob Inglis bulk liquid fertilizer of South Carolina. The position is “out of step with where the science is and the place the sensible money is [which] is already moving to act on climate.”
OO European Offshore Wind Funding Hits €14 Billion In 2016
OO Rockefeller Fund Divests From Fossil Fuels,
Now Invests In Renewables – providing $10 million to Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd. to develop renewable power in Africa.. The funding will help finance as much as $1.9 billion for green vitality in Africa.
OO Chicago, IL: RedWave Vitality Raises $5.5 Million to show Heat Into Electricity
OO Molten Storage and Thermophotovoltaics Offer New Solar Power Pathway – by capturing heat from thermal photo voltaic plants and storing it in liquid metal, for ultimate conversion to electricity. The estimated costs could be a magnitude lower than turbine conversion techniques, suggests a new examine.
OO GOP And Democratic Platforms Highlight Stark Variations On Energy And Climate – Takeaways:
– Republicans embrace fossil fuels,
– Democrats push for local weather motion.
– Legislators tend to hew to celebration platforms.
A Stark, Clear Distinction in the 2 major candidates: one will act on climate change, the opposite’s policies will contribute to it.
OO Climate Change Divide Bursts To Forefront In Presidential Campaign – Hillary Clinton highlights her plans to combat international warming. Donald J. Trump dismisses the science as a hoax.
OO Clean Power Teams See Alternatives In Clinton’s Jobs Plan
OO EPA Finding Clears Means For Limit On Aircraft Local weather Changing Emissions
Photo voltaic Retains FLYING
Spanish Eagle Patrol Salutes Solar Plane Source Photo voltaic Impulse
OO Sun-Powered Airplane Completes Historic Journey Around the world using solely photo voltaic power. Though mechanical setbacks meant your complete journey spanned over a 12 months:
– The airplane flew 23 days in 17 levels practically 27,000 miles;
– Solar powered by day, it glided by evening.
“I am positive that within 10 years we’ll see electric airplanes transporting 50 passengers on short to medium haul flights,” mentioned co-pilot Bertrand Piccard.
OO Minnesota: ‘Worth of Photo voltaic’ Good points Another Foothold
– Avoided transmission investments,
– Positive health and environmental impacts of clean energy
– Helping the grid on sunny days when extra power is usually needed.
The state is the first to undertake a VOS method for determining how a lot neighborhood solar customers will be paid for the ability their initiatives produce.
Each day Local weather Change: World Map of Unusual Temperatures, Aug eleven, 2016
Looking above at current temperature anomalies, much of the US and the waters surrounding it are experiencing hotter than normal temperatures: regardless of cool floor temperatures, the drought continues in California.